miércoles, marzo 09, 2005

¡Imperdonable!

Just to let you know how insignificant I am, yesterday Kazunori Yamauchi, the man behind the Grand Turismo series was in Madrid, presenting GT4's arrival to Europe. And I wasn't there. Of course, I was "invitadísimo", but a plane ticket wasn't included in the invitation. Well, I don't mind not going to those parties, but that was a missed opportunity to meet Kazunori again and tell him about peak oil! After all, he's the man who said this:

I'd like young kids to understand more fully the fun of cars. Using the entertainment power of games, we'll be, in a sense, increasing the number of car lovers twenty years or so down the road. If we don't grow to love cars in youth, we become adults who are uninterested in cars."
Not that I don't love his work, etc, but in the light of the energy challenges we'll have to meet in the coming decades, his project, putting it lightly, appears a bit naive.

BTW, there's this US government-sponsored report, "Peaking of World Oil Production: Impacts, Mitigation and Risk Management" (PDF file, 1,2 MB), that should help you to understand why this weblog is called Yamauchi's Paradox. For an overview of the report, my friend Adam has just published an article about that: US report acknowledges peak-oil threat.